Saturday, August 30, 2003

what did you do yesterday? i got arrested.

Groups of approximately 25 union members blocked three separate intersections around old campus on friday. I was the first one in group 3. At the signal, we held hands and walked into the street. after we formed a circle, everyone sat down to wait for the riot police and plastic handcuffs. They loaded us onto buses. Destination: the police station for processing.

The New Haven cops were really nice and tried to drag the civil disobedience out as long as possible, by handcuffing and (slowly) leading away one person at a time. We managed to hold up traffic for about an hour and a half.

My mom called that afternoon to ask if I was in jail (she had seen the arrests on the news). When I said, "No, they let us out a few hours ago", she said, "Oh, my. I was just kidding" and launched into a whole tirade about how I could get kicked out of school. At the end, she said, "I am proud that you are willing to stand up for what you believe in." Go mom!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home