Tuesday, October 28, 2003

the disembodied voice of the NIH speaks out

I cannot fulfill my mission when leading scientists must pass a series of political litmus tests in order to work with me. I cannot fulfill my mission when politicians target grants for topics they deem unworthy of funding, despite scientific peer acclaim.

I cannot fulfill my mission when my workers must constantly look over their shoulder to see if they are on a list for “outsourcing” or a victim of “consolidation.”

I cannot fulfill my mission when web sites providing health information are consciously and deliberately altered to fit ethical and/or religious beliefs.

The NIH should be about the open celebration of the scientific enterprise, not a target for political agendas to be played out on a national stage. The stakes are far too high.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home