Thursday, November 04, 2004

The only thing to fear is... those crazy religious wackos

I've got one thing to say...wake up America. All of those ten page articles in Harpers and the New York Times Magazine on the religious right are finally hitting home. The thing is, I never believed that those people existed. Sure, there were occasional anecdotes from friends about crazy relatives. And in the back of my mind, I knew those people spent lots of quality time at their MegaChurch in the suburbs with thousands of other Jesus Freaks, but I could never wrap my head around it.

On Wednesday, I woke up with a pit in my stomach. I was trying to figure out why, until I read an article on the new conservative "revolution", which basically amounts to a lot of family values shoved up my ass.

And I realized that my stomach ache represented... fear. For the first time in a long time, I was afraid. And not of the terrorists, but my fellow Americans. Here we are, huddled in our urban enclaves, waiting for the masses to smite us down.

So, there are two options (well, probably more than two, but I am cutting it down to the "fight or flight" response). Since founding a sovereign nation anytime in the near future is probably not a possibility, it looks like I'm going to stick around and organize. Get out in the community, build some coalitions, reach out to other like-minded folks across the country. Because, I really believe we can win; we've got reason and the rest of the world on our side.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home