Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Zombie Commuters and other fun observations

* The morning commute is a very unsafe time. It is before 8AM. You are bleary-eyed, and the first cup of coffee has barely taken effect. Then, you are thrown into a car hurtling 70+ mph down the expressway with thousands of other bleary-eyed commuters. Is it just me, or does this seem like a national crisis?

* Sometimes, when you think you are cheating the system, the system is actually cheating you. So, for some reason, I thought that Cingular counted night and weekend minutes on my cell phone based on East Coast time. Which meant, when it was 6PM here, it was 9PM East Coast, which meant night and weekend minutes. Unfortunately, my assessment was incorrect. I discovered this when I received my $100+ cell phone bill with $40 in overages. I feel like one of those bad cell phone commercials.

On the same note, how are cell phone regulations affecting our culture? I know that I now rarely talk to friends and family during the weekdays, and rarely have a more than 10 minute conversation during peak times to "save" my minutes. Then there was the month when I never stopped calling people because I had gone over so much.

* MoveOn is having a nation-wide vigil for Cindy Sheehan tonight. I never actually read my Moveon e-mails, but Matt's parents are going, so I decided to look up one near my house. The one up the street has over 400 people registered. I guess this is what it means to live in Berkeley.

1 Comments:

Blogger Matt & Mary Catherine's Wedding said...

unfortunately, all i do is work these days, and i can't talk about that for obvious public reasons (although i would stand a better chance of being fired if i worked for conde nast).

you are absolutely right! the return of the crack babies is near...

8/18/2005 9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home