Thursday, July 21, 2005

wo wo wo wo woo

Yesterday Matt & I traveled over the mountains to Santa Cruz where we met up with our friend Brian, my co-DJ on Indie-pendent. We got some yummy vegetarian grub at the Saturn Cafe and then headed down the block to see The Aquabats! Now, I've gotta respect these guys. They manage to turn a slightly-less-than-middle-aged band of average guys playing California pop punk into a really fun show.

They had crazy costumes! They had evil villians! They had commercials for belted pudding dispensers and medicinal leeches! They had group hand motions like the "circle of love"! The kids were going wild in the pit, while the adults were safely ensconced in the 21+ balconies! They had a band manager get into a fist fight with the overzealous security crew! It was off the hook.

If the Aquabats are coming to a town near you, I would recommend checking them out. Just make sure that you don't wear flip-flops.

Afterward, we tried to get coffee, but downtown Santa Cruz becomes decidedly uncaffeinated after 11. Instead I settled for Melon agua fresca.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think aquabat leader would correct you in saying it was off the hizzie. Or dare I say super rad?

And thankfully I'm not crazy. There is such a thing as 'ha-my-kah" agua fresca. Thank you mexgrocer for setting my world right again (and sorry mc for hijacking your blog to make this proclamation).
http://www.mexgrocer.com/13101.html
(melon is better though).

7/21/2005 4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm something tells me Cali is more fun then FL, just a hunch.
jess

7/25/2005 11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, i figured it out after we spoke. we are talking about two different substances: jamica (which you drank of) and jicama (the root you can buy in the store). so we were both right! lets go out and drink jicama/jamica and celebrate!

7/27/2005 8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home