Thursday, July 07, 2005

Comics for the Mainstream

I've really been trying to understand comics. I will admit that I've had an automatic "Eww, superheros" response toward them for years, but lately I've been finding some common ground. I really enjoyed Marjane Satrapi's graphic novel
Persepolis
, as well as the recent Sin City movie.

Today I came across an article on Oni Press, an independent comic book publisher.
Oni Press was founded in 1997 by Bob Schreck and Joe Nozemack, two guys who were thinking so far outside of the box that it’s amazing the company survived, let alone thrived. What they wanted to do from the beginning was to publish comics that were “in line with the real mainstream.”

That sounded right up my ally. I found a great title called Love Fights, about regular people living in a town full of superheroes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home