Saturday, March 19, 2005

Wal-Mart's Healthcare Crime

As I was channel surfing, I came across the Labor Committee hearing on SB 1147 on CT C-SPAN. Yes, I know I am a big dork.

Anyway, the bill would require large employers, such as Wal-Mart, to actually provide healthcare coverage to their employees, instead of encouraging workers to use state funds for insurance.

During the hearing, a woman who is currently employed at Wal-Mart testified. She makes $8.40 an hour and she pays $40 or so every two weeks for insurance. If she was to include her son on her plan, the cost would be $60 or so every two weeks. That is around 25% of her annual income. 25%! I almost had a heart attack when I heard that.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is awful to hear an employee would pay so much for health coverage. I hope walmart can work to provide better health coverage is health insurance is a major aspect to many.

12/18/2005 4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home